Group Benefit Client Relationship Manager & Consultant
Union Benefits, a third-party benefits and pension administration firm serving multi-employer union locals with offices in Waterloo, ON and Halifax, NS, is seeking a Senior Group Benefit Client Relationship Manager & Consultant to join our client management team in Waterloo, ON.
The Senior Group Benefit Client Relationship Manager is responsible for providing overall relationship management to Union Local Trustees who are responsible for overseeing the Trust Funds that sponsor the health, welfare and pension benefits to their Local Membership. The Senior Client Relationship Manager will have an assigned group of “plan sponsor” clients and will be responsible for providing benefit consulting, implementing plan changes as well as coordinating regular Trustee meetings. Drawing on your experience working in a Group Benefits senior client-facing role(s), the Senior Client Relationship Manager will apply their strong relationship management skills and group benefit plan design/operations expertise in helping the Trustees make informed decisions that result in high quality, financially sustainable benefit programs for their members. In addition, and in conjunction with internal and external professionals, the Senior Client Relationship Manager will facilitate Pension Plan related administrative activities.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic guidance with respect to benefit plan design;
- Develop and provide client specific strategies to ensure ongoing competitive plan design and concepts which are financially sustainable;
- Recommend and design plan options that best balances client’s need for a cost effective benefit plan with appropriate funding of the plan;
- Engage in renewal negotiations and pricing of alternate plan designs for assigned clients;
- Develop and maintain strong Trustee and Union Local relationships;
- Meet with Trustees to present semi-annual/quarterly experience, financial reporting, renewal presentations as well provide Trust Fund financial information to allow Trustees to fulfill their fiduciary obligations;
- Coordinate plan sponsor meeting activities and internal/external professional service work related to the ongoing operation of the retirement program and pension Trust Fund.
- Manage a small team of Member Service Associates who are responsible for responding to individual member inquires regarding their benefit coverage;
- Assist with the management of ongoing relationships with key service providers including assessing product enhancements and pricing negotiations;
- Make a difference in the future success of the Company by demonstrating leadership and active participation as part of the Senior Management Team.
SKILL and BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS:
- 10+ years in the Group Life & Health industry;
- Excellent group insurance knowledge including renewal/amendment analysis and pricing;
- University Degree/College Diploma; GBA / RPA / CEBS;
- Proven track record providing strategic advice in group benefits financial plan management and plan design to Trustee groups or Committees; some exposure to Group Retirement Plans would be a plus;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint;
- Consistently display sound judgment and possess unwavering ethics and integrity;
- Self-motivated with strong work organizational skills;
- Excellent and proven communication skills particularly in areas of written reports, meeting minutes, client presentations, problem solving and conflict resolution;
- Regular travel required; Willing to work occasionally on Saturday (e.g. Member meetings).
ABOUT UNION BENEFITS
Union Benefits is a premier third-party administrator of Member pension, health benefit, vacation pay, supplementary unemployment benefit and productivity bonus plans with offices in Waterloo and Halifax. Union Benefits is owned and operated by the 34 participating Trust Funds it serves. Union Benefits proudly cares for about 10,000 Members from 16 different Locals in the construction and technical trades. Combining our unique “volume purchasing programs” with our “at cost” services model, Union Benefits provides Trust Funds and Members with the best possible service at the lowest possible cost. Learn more at www.unionbenefits.ca
If you are interested in applying, please provide your resume with a brief cover letter to the hiring manager at Union Benefits.
DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. We sincerely appreciate your interest in applying however please note that only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Updated August 2019
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- group benefits: 7 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- English (Required)