Research Associate, Canadian Coalition for Good Governance
The Canadian Coalition for Good Governance is Canada’s preeminent corporate governance organization representing institutional investors holding an aggregate assets under management of approximately $4.5 trillion. On behalf of its members, CCGG advocates for improved governance at Canadian public companies by publishing policies on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues that impact long term investment value, engaging with boards of Canadian public companies on ESG issues, and advocating for regulatory reform/enhancements. CCGG is a member funded not-for-profit corporation.
We are seeking a Research Associate to join our small, collegial and deeply committed team to primarily support our board engagement program conducting research on the ESG practices of Canadian public companies. While the position will be research focused, due to our small size and the need for our staff to be nimble and adaptable to whatever needs the organization has, the role will also have additional responsibilities for, among other things, enhancing CCGG’s social media presence and member support and occasional corporate secretarial duties. The position requires a basic understanding of capital markets, as well as facility with social media and a willingness/enthusiasm to learn on the job. Salary and benefits are competitive.
The Research Associate will report to the Head of Research & Engagement, with day-to-day supervision provided by the Senior Research Associate.
The Research Associate’s duties will include:
- Benchmarking organizations’ governance practices against those set out in the Coalition’s policies and ‘best practices’ documents.
- Conducting in-depth analyses of governance practices at specific companies, including with respect to board composition, board oversight of risk and strategy, executive and director compensation, and a wide range of other practices on a case-by-case basis.
- Drafting ‘briefing books’ based on such benchmarking and analysis to be used in board engagements.
- Conducting industry or sector-specific research on various ESG matters.
- Communicating findings through well-written analyses and intuitive visualisations.
- Participation in member briefings to communicate research findings.
- Regularly creating, posting and managing content on our Twitter and LinkedIn accounts and our website.
- Supporting member communications and corporate secretarial tasks such as attending and taking minutes for board and member committee meetings.
The successful applicant’s qualifications will include:
- A graduate or undergraduate degree with a concentration in finance, accounting, mathematics, statistics or other related fields.
- Pursuing the CFA designation or demonstrable interest or experience in evaluating publicly held businesses such as those listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, including through reviewing public disclosure documents such as management information circulars, annual information forms, annual reports as well as sustainability reports.
- Ability to show initiative and work well independently and within a team environment.
- A record of academic and/or professional excellence.
- Interest in pursuing a career in research.
- Ability to deliver high-quality work product in a fast-paced environment while maintaining careful attention to detail.
- Strong commitment to workplace ethics, including absolute confidentiality regarding member and public company matters.
- Willingness to assist all other team members with their responsibilities on an ‘as needed’ basis and a willingness to ask for help and seek guidance from colleagues when needed.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and timetables, report on progress and integrate feedback.
- High proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications particularly Microsoft Excel.
- While not required, previous experience working in the asset management industry or in the ESG space is highly desirable.
The Coalition is comprised of a small, committed staff that believes strongly in the importance of our mission of improving governance at Canadian public companies to enhance and protect long term value for our members that manage assets on behalf of their clients and beneficiaries. Given the small size of our team, and without the infrastructure of a larger organization, employees need to be flexible and show initiative in accomplishing what needs to be done. This role offers the right candidate the opportunity to be part of a passionate, collaborative, and supportive team, working at the heart of corporate governance thought leadership in Canada, at a time when domestic and global corporate governance is evolving rapidly to address important, systemic ESG issues.
The Coalition is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace.
Interested candidates should send their unofficial transcript(s), resume and cover letter to Ali Abid, CFA. Please include “research associate” in the subject of the email and send in your application by August 24, 2020.
While there is some flexibility, it is anticipated that the start date will be in late September or early October. We appreciate all applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2020-08-24
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Temporarily due to COVID-19