182 – Strategic Communications & Public Affairs
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Communications and Public Affairs, the Communications Consultant is responsible for enhancing corporate and departmental objectives by providing strategic communications counsel and tactical support to internal clients. The role provides assigned department client leadership in the areas of public relations, community relations, public affairs, resource development, internal communications, and media relations. The Communications Consultant is a member of the Crisis Communications Response Team.
- College or university degree/equivalent in communications, public relations, journalism or related discipline
- Five years experience in issues management, internal communications, public relations, public affairs, community consultation and media relations.
- More than five years experience in issues management, internal communications, public relations, public affairs, community consultation and media relations is preferred.
- Professional accreditation in Public Relations or other communications-based professional organization an asset.
1. Formulates and implements strategic communication plans to support the Corporation in building effective relationships with its internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Provides advice and counsel to clients on matters of reputation, internal communication, public affairs and media relations.
- Anticipates potentially contentious issues impacting the Corporation and/or client, advising on best methods of proactively and positively addressing them.
- Researches and prepares communiqués on behalf of Commissioners, Directors or the CAO and for presentation to Regional Councilors, Regional Chairman, and the Corporate Leadership Team on potentially contentious or sensitive issues to ensure positive outcomes and accurate information sharing with external stakeholders.
2. Conducts media and public relations activities for client departments and the Corporation.
- Prepares media products, organizing media conferences, and identifying and encouraging opportunities for positive media coverage.
- Initiates and maintains contact with the media by monitoring news media, reviewing and analyzing media coverage and maintaining media contact list.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs policies and procedures to ensure that public relations services provided by the division are delivered consistently to all clients.
- Facilitates all phases of public relations required to reach a client’s internal and external target audiences.
- Co-ordinates projects, programs or events, collaborating with internal resources to manage plans and logistics.
3. Develops and implements communication plans and strategies to address department and corporate communication needs for both external and internal audiences and measures results accordingly.
- Researches, analyzes, plans, develops and implements communications plans and strategies designed to assist the Corporation in building positive relations with the public.
- Provides advice on public consultation, web-based communications, social marketing, and business literacy areas.
4. Monitors trends, issues and legislation that affect the Corporation or its stakeholders, recommending approaches or responses to address issues identified.
- Identifies opportunities to improve/enhance internal communication vehicles and channels for client departments and the Corporation.
- Maintains corporate identity standards, ensuring Visual Identity Guidelines and graphics and design standards are followed.
5. As a member of the Crisis Communications Response Team, prepares responses to crises situations during activation of the Crisis Communications Plan for Issues and incidents, and providing expertise and input on media relations and stakeholder communications.
- May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.