The Junior Technician is responsible for installation of structured cabling, coaxial cabling, wireless access points, network hardware, telephony systems, inside and outside plant fiber optic splicing, terminating and testing.
Major Responsibilities and Duties (to fulfill major purpose):
1. Onsite responsibilities for physically installing cable distribution systems including installations of outlets, pulling cables, pre-termination and labeling according to industry standards.
2. Terminate, assemble and install various connectors and patch panels.
3. Test and label all sizes of Multi-pair copper cables
4. Accurately test cables to required certification parameters utilizing appropriate test and equipment as required
5. Diagnose and correct cable problems.
6. Ensure removal of abandoned cable and clean up of work sites,
7. Competently interpret floor plan layouts and work closely with Helix IT project managers, and projects coordinators as designated by management to proactively resolve potential issues, questions, or concerns between the floor plans and the actual site conditions.
8. Competently read, understand and complete the work scopes. Be able to discern between committed work and extra word or change orders. Track, document and relay to project management or project coordinators any additional work or change orders over and above the original scope of work.
9. Work with other Helix IT technical staff on job sites.
10. Onsite responsibilities to physically perform the installation, termination, splicing, testing and troubleshooting of both inside and outside plant fiber optic cabling.
11. Perform splicing, termination and assembly of outside plant splice closures related to aerial strand, JU6 pedestal, junction boxes, etc.
12. Obtaining job numbers prior to each job.
13. Preparing and Submitting information for invoicing of projects for entry into the accounting system.
14. Submitting cost entries by direct reports for use of inventory.
15. Ensure all time is submitted online through TSheets prior to deadline.
16. Ensure to submit all expense reports on time.
17. Conduct routine testing on all equipment.
18. Inspect all equipment for wear and damage.
19. Maintain safe working conditions within the company by ensuring that all associates and contractors follow Health and Safety policies and procedures.
20. Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Attention to detail
- Verbal communication
- Documentation skills
- Telecommunications knowledge
- Walking, standing, bending, crouching or stooping.
- Frequently lifting 5 to 50 pounds, occasionally heavier lifting.
- Evening, weekend and holiday hours may be required.
- Works outdoors and indoors; occasionally in inclement weather.
Experience, Training and Education (demonstrating requirements):
- 1 - 3 years related experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Communications: 1 year (Preferred)