Quinte Health Care (QHC), located in south/central Ontario, is an integrated system of hospitals working with our partners to provide exceptional care. Our four hospitals: Belleville General Hospital, Trenton Memorial Hospital, Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital and North Hastings Hospital, offer high-quality, comprehensive health services to nearly 200,000 people throughout the region.
With fantastic restaurants, a thriving arts and culture scene, and more than 40 wineries, the Quinte region is an excellent place to live. The array of parks, picturesque beaches, golf courses, and waterfront trails, provide plenty of opportunity for outdoor adventure. This dynamic, growing community offers affordable housing in both urban and rural settings and is an easy commute to larger centres such as Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa and Montreal. Visit www.bayofquinte.ca to learn more about the region.
QHC’s vision is to provide exceptional and compassionate care and to be valued by our communities and inspired by the people we serve. We strive to enhance the quality and safety of care, create an exceptional safety experience, provide effective care transitions, and be an exceptional workplace. In applying to any of our careers, all candidates will promote a safe environment by informing their manager of any relevant issues related to patients, families or staff and maintain a focus on patient and staff safety in all aspects of duties performed.
We are looking for a certified Health Information Management Specialist to work individually or as a part of a team to ensure the secure and accurate processing of the patient health record. This position is fit for a detailed-oriented individual who is willing to engage in continuous process improvement to perform their work efficiently and of high quality standards. The successful candidate will engage in quantitative and qualitative analysis of the health record, accurate coding and abstracting and release of information.
- Active member in good standing with the Canadian Health Information Management Association.
- Must have proof of current CPE credits or, a recent graduate (in the last 12 months) and can provide proof of diploma.
- Knowledge and use of Folio.
- Knowledge of Medical Staff Rules & Regulations, Public Hospitals Act, Personal Health Information Privacy Act and other pertinent legislation.
- Reviews health records quantitatively to ascertain that records meet necessary criteria, and reports errors and/or omissions.
- Monitors and maintains a system for charts that are past due and reports to Manager and notifies Physicians that are delinquent in chart completion.
- Assembles records for scanning/permanent filing.
- Receives, evaluates and responds to correspondence, telephone requests and in-person inquiries regarding release of health records.
- Attends at court with the health record, under subpoena.
- Assesses information in health records and assigns codes according to the International Classification of Disease (ICD-10-CA) and Canadian Classification of Interventions (CCI) and maintains abstracting database.
- Retrieves patient charts from previous admissions and directs to appropriate floor/unit on admission.
- Answers telephone, takes messages, screens and re-routes calls.
- Assumes responsibility for microfilming process.
- Files charts in main department and alternate storage locations.
- Participates in departmental QA Programs.
- Participates in record retention and destruction policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all interested candidates for their response, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Our Recruitment process follows the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act in order to provide a fair and equitable process for all candidates. Applicants requiring accommodation through the recruitment/interview process are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Department at 613-969-7400 x2577 for assistance.
Physical Demands Analysis
- Required Rarely – lifting, carrying, pushing/pulling
- Required Frequently – prolonged sitting
- Required Occasionally – standing and walking on hard surfaces
- Required Rarely – crouching/squatting, climbing, balancing
- Required Often – prolonged fine finger movement,
- Required Frequently – gripping/grasping,
- Required Rarely - reaching