We are growing our Enterprise Risk Management function at Wawanesa, and are seeking dynamic, experienced Risk leaders, to contribute to our success by providing leadership and oversight across the organization.
We are currently recruiting for a Director, Insurance Risk Management to join our growing team.
In this role, the Director of Insurance Risk Management is primarily responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely measurement, monitoring, reporting and control of enterprise-wide insurance risks and associated escalation and governance process. This role reports to the Vice President, Risk Management within centralized Risk Management function.
- Partners with key stakeholders to provide leadership, oversight, and effective challenge in relation to the enterprise wide insurance risks.
- Provides oversight related to effectiveness and consistency of enterprise-wide actuarial practices including evaluating the design, pricing and valuation of the insurance products, and assessing the reasonableness of provisions for policy liabilities as well as the appropriateness of the process followed.
- Leads independent pricing and reserving calculations of major business lines.
- Leads a review of key insurance risk models, including actuarial, budget and forecasting, and insurance risk capital models.
- Partners with key stakeholders to develop appropriate policies, procedures and risk controls to address insurance risks.
- Coordinates relevant policy renewals with policy owners; collaborates on the development of new policies and provides support and quality review of policies.
- Supports assessment of the organization’s insurance risk appetite and suggest new risk appetite statements, tolerances, and key metrics to drive continuous improvement.
- Leads and oversees the reporting process around insurance risk appetite metrics for the company.
- Oversees the development, maintenance and continual enhancement of the insurance risk measurement and reporting framework, related central data repository and reporting.
- Maintains and enhances the set of key risk indicators (KRIs) and dashboard reporting used for monitoring against management and Board-approved limits.
- Ensures timely and accurate reporting and control of measured insurance risks and associated awareness and socialization with key stakeholders and committees
- Collaborates with other members of the enterprise Risk Management team to continuously enhance risk management practices and achieve enterprise Risk Management objectives
- Contributes meaningfully at Management insurance risk oversight committees.
- Provides leadership to attract/retain high quality talent, including appropriate employee communication, sound structure/processes to ensure that employees are maximized to their full potential while contributing to the achievement of Wawanesa's goals
- Oversee, manage and coach an engaged and effective Insurance Risk Management team through employee development, performance management, and succession planning, in order to ensure that the work environment is respectful, challenging, and rewarding.
- Develop and champion initiatives within the Director’s sphere of influence that support the strategic goals of the enterprise Risk Management team and the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in insurance industry, with three years in a leadership role.
- Degree in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Finance or a related field.
- Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries designation required, with preference given to Fellows of the Casualty Actuarial Society.
- Experience working in actuarial oversight function, with advanced knowledge of pricing and reserving techniques.
- Excellent leadership skills with ability to build and develop strong teams, gain respect, credibility and confidence from others.
- Strong influencing skills with ability to effectively collaborate across the business to build a strong risk culture
- Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills with the ability to effectively convey complex ideas in a simple, persuasive and eloquent manner
- Comfortable confronting difficult issues and diplomatic in delivery of challenging messages
- Ability to operate in an evolving, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Experience in both life and P&C insurance industry would be an asset.
**Note: We are open to candidates in a variety of locations in Canada, with a preferred location of Winnipeg. Periodic travel to Winnipeg Executive Office would be required if located outside.
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, apply today with your Resume.
Accommodations are available as needed for all applicants.
Job Type: Full-time
- Insurance: 10 years (Preferred)