Thanks to the support of the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario, Special Olympics Ontario is pleased to offer employment opportunities to young people (15 – 30 years of age). Due to COVID-19, the Government has extended the possible working period until February 2021. As such, we will be searching for applicants to start from July through to November 2020. Positions of focus (identified below) will be prioritized for earlier start dates. Flexible workweek schedules will be made available whenever possible. There are multiple youth /student employment opportunities in the following communities and regions:
- Durham Region (Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby)
- Greater Toronto Area
- Kingston & Area
- London & Area
- Simcoe North & Orillia
- Ottawa & Area
- Niagara Region (St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne & Welland)
- Peel Region (Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga)
- Thunder Bay
- York Region (Aurora, Markham, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Vaughan)
- Waterloo Region (Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo)
These positions are compensated at $16.00 per hour and vary in hours per week (10-40 hours).
Contracts are a minimum of 8 weeks in duration based on the project and location.
Program areas and possible projects include:
1. Program Development
- Community & School Programs Support
- Coach & Volunteer Resource Development
- First Nations, Partner in Play, Unified and Inclusive Camp Programs
2. Health / Research Programs
Healthy Athletes and Healthy Communities Program Development
Research Coordination and Research Projects with Special Olympics Research Partners including:
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health,
- Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital,
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology,
- Queen’s University,
- The University of Toronto,
- The University of Western Ontario,
- York University
3. Marketing, Fundraising & Business Development
- Event & Business Development support for Special Olympics Ontario & The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Ontario
- Communications, Marketing & Fundraising projects
- Finance, Administration, Membership & Donations support
4. Technology & Resource Development
- Website & Graphic Design
- Platform & Application development for projects such as eLearning, Virtual Competition, Health & Fitness programs, Competition Results, Data Visualization & Knowledge Translation applications
- Rollout and training for online registration, membership and competition management systems
5. Athlete Development & Leadership
- Athlete Leadership Program, Input Council and Health Ambassador Development, These positions are ideally suited for Special Olympics athletes seeking work experience
- Content Translation (English to French)
- Candidates must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Be a Canadian Citizen OR a Permanent Resident OR a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
- International students who do not meet the above criteria are not eligible for this program.
- COMPLETE online at Https: //specialolympicsontario.com/careers/youthjobs
- Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted for a virtual interview
- Individuals are encouraged to apply early.
- Applications will be received and processed on an ongoing basis until all positions are filled with revolving start dates from July - November.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Special Olympics Ontario invites applications from all qualified individuals and invites applications from people of all abilities and experiences. Our youth employment program in particular encourages applications from Special Olympics athletes between the ages of 15 and 30 and has roles for young people with intellectual disabilities seeking work experience.
In keeping with our commitment to equity and diversity, we welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
APPLY ONLINE AT: https://specialolympicsontario.com/careers/youthjobs
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $16.00 per hour
These youth employment positions will require the incumbent to be fully operational with a home-based office, internet and familiar with Microsoft suite