Apprentice – Machinist
These positions are part of Linamar's Youth Apprenticeship Program available to 2020 Ontario Secondary School Graduates and recent post-Secondary School Graduates
The Apprentice – Machinist position under continuous supervision is responsible for setting up, operating, and adjusting various types of conventional or automatic machines including lathes, drill presses, grinders, and other precision equipment. Primarily accountable for working from drawings and written instructions to create replacement and new parts in making repairs to metal parts as well as for experimental apparatus or prototype equipment.
Powering Vehicles, Motion, Work, and Lives since 1966.
- Fit and assemble machined parts into complete units.
- Apply knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics, machine ability of materials and layout techniques, using hand and power tools.
- Compute dimensions and tolerances and measure and lay out work pieces.
- Calculate and set controls to regulate machining factors, such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angel of cut, or enter commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Start and observe machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjust machine controls or control media as needed.
- Set-up and operate machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine setting or programmed control data.
- Adjust and set up machining equipment and tooling for use by machine operator(s).
- Report deviations from specifications and tolerances to supervisor.
- Maintain and complete quality assurance reports.
- Study assembly drawings, sectional views and drawings.
- Review drawings prior to jobs understanding critical dimensions and machining tolerances to identify missing information or measurements.
- Ability to monitor speed settings and feed rates for drills, lathes and mills.
- Ensure machines are operating within specified ranges and make adjustments as needed.
- Consider work process, materials and experience using different tools and equipment to determine whether tools suit purpose assess quality of cuts and grinding throughout machining process.
- Other duties assigned as needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent general education. Successful candidates must provide proof of Grade 12 (or GED) to Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
- Enrolled in an apprenticeship and a certificate of qualification program as a general machinist.
- Knowledge using computer-assisted design, manufacturing and machining software.
- Interpret scale drawings at various points throughout machining processes.
- Possess good judgement to assess suitability of tools and equipment for machining jobs.
- Ability to discuss work plans and coordinate tasks with co-workers completing large orders.
- Read and interpret blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work-pieces.
- Ability to work independently to interpret, plan and produce or repair parts and in a team as needed.
- Possess drive and motivation to maintain continuous learning from daily work activities
What Linamar Has To Offer
- Opportunities for career advancement.
- Community based outreach supporting both local and global initiatives and charities.
- Social committees and sports teams.
- Discounts for local vendors and events, including auto supplier discounts.
Linamar Corporation is a Canadian diversified global manufacturing company of highly engineered products across global industries & markets. From the entrepreneurial seeds planted by our dynamic founder, to the support provided along the way, all Linamar employees are poised for success in this fast-paced and rapidly growing environment. With access to the tools you need to succeed, you will make an impact along with other motivated and engaged people.
Linamar is committed to promoting accessible recruitment as outlined in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Linamar will attempt to accommodate persons with a disability in an appropriate and effective manner throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Accommodations will be provided upon request.
Current Shift Days
Employment Type Full Time Hourly
Percentage of Travel Required 1-10%