Position: Support Worker
Posting #: 2300-RW—210412
Hourly Rate: $21.63
Schedule: varied shifts/round-the-clock/Weekends, weekdays, Stat Holidays
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver (EFry) is a charitable organization that supports women, girls and children at risk, involved in nor affected by the justice system. Our programs work to break the cycle of poverty, addiction, mental illness, homelessness and crime.
Located in Surrey, Sheena’s Place is a temporary shelter home for 12 homeless women and their children. Support workers provide awake around the clock support and management of the site for residents providing assistance and support to make plans to address their immediate crisis needs and housing plans. Staff and residents participate in the day-to-day living tasks involved in communal living.
- Support the overall functioning of the shelter program and intake and care of the residents.
- Provide a psychosocial environment and a therapeutic approach to support residents toward integration
and normal functioning in the community.
- Record all activities and interactions with residents as part of the ongoing case management.
· Assist case planning/manage in the identification of potential problems and reports any difficulties.
- Perform light housekeeping duties ensuring quality control for all equipment and maximum cleaning effectiveness.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma in a related human/or social services field and a minimum one (1)year recent related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Working knowledge of issues impacting women who experience poverty, trauma and homelessness, addictions and mental illness.
- Working knowledge of legislation and policies related to Social Assistance, Mental Health Act and Child, Family & Community Service Act.
SKILL & ABILITIES:
· Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
· Understanding of crisis management, risk assessment, trauma and gender-informed practice
- Proficient in MS word, excel, outlook and data entry
JOB REQUIREMENTS & EXPECTATIONS:
- Food Safe Level 1 and First Aid Certificates, including CPR C required
· Doctor’s note of fitness required
· Evidence of a Tuberculosis Test and compliance with the TB Control program
· Satisfactory Criminal Record Review (Vulnerable Sector Search)
· Applicant with valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record preferred
· Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
This position requires union membership.
EFry is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applicants that represent those we serve. We welcome applicants with non-traditional educational backgrounds and field experience.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
Please note only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview. No phone calls please.
Job Types: Full-time, Casual
Salary: $21.63 per hour
- social services: 1 year (preferred)