Coordinator/Teacher of Alternate School
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To coordinate and animate a program designed to give preschool children and their parents a head-start in the school system, focusing on the needs and best interests of low-income families.
· Through the “Alternate School”, provide a preschool head-start program 5 days a week for 2–5-year-olds in a safe and fun environment. – 65%
· Ensure integration of parents to the program, providing opportunities for hands-on experience, supervision, and feedback. – 15%
· To carry out evaluation and progress reports for children and their parents, identifying areas of strength, potential and difficulty. – 10%
· During the summer months, to provide assistance with other Saint Columba House programs (i.e. Summer Day Camp) 10%
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
· In possession of qualifications to carry out early childhood educational programs, with knowledge of up-to-date pedagogical programs and resources to enhance children’s literacy, language acquisition and numeracy skills as well as their social skills.
· Good administrative and computer literacy skills.
· Ability to oversee, supervise and support participating parents, staff and volunteers.
· Ability to work with children presenting behavioral problems and special needs.
· Good understanding of the socio-economic conditions, challenges and strengths of families living in economically disadvantaged circumstances. Familiarity with the community of Point Saint Charles and its educational institutions would be an asset.
· Ability to relate to and collaborate with outside resources and institutions in a productive and mutually beneficial way. Understanding of the importance of partnerships in the delivery of effective educational services within the community.
· Good spoken and written English and French language skills
· Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of principles of social justice.
Status: Preventative and maternity leave replacement of 18 months plus starting as soon as possible.
Working Hours: 30 hours per week (Monday through Friday 8:30 pm to 2:30).
Send CV by September 22 2023 to Emilie Jacques, family programs coordinator
Saint Columba House 2365 Grand Trunk, Montreal, Quebec. H3K 1M8
Residents of Point Saint Charles are encouraged to apply.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 18 months
Salary: From $22.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Early childhood education: 1 year (preferred)
- English and French (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-22
Expected start date: 2023-10-02