Colearning for kids, parents, and families.
We’re looking for two online teachers. One in high-school sciences, and one in programming.
Our ideal candidates:
- Love teaching their subjects, and have experience teaching
- Are great with people, and can work effectively with students ages 8- adult
- Know a variety of programming languages OR knows upper level science (Gr 10-12)
- Is excited about video games and technology (programming)
- Is excited about what science can do for society (science)
- Work out of our online education site, remixyour.education to deliver colearning classes and one-on-one to students of Rainy Day Learning Co.
- Hourly Rate - $35-70/hr depending on experience.
- Teach 1 or 2 group colearning sessions online
- Teach 3 to 6 hours of one-on-one subject tutoring.
We’re looking for programming/science teachers to teach a group colearning class. What’s a colearning class? Imagine….
For programming: imagine you’re online with 4-6 students working on a bunch of different programming projects - a few building games or apps, a few doing computer science for an online course, and one or two that you’ve coached to try some really cool, out-of-the box stuff. It’s dynamic, and you’ve got to help each person find a way to learn what they need to learn to accomplish their goal - without teaching them too directly, or taking on the role of expert. Instead you might show them a tip, help them find a tutorial, or simply be engaged and interested in what the students are doing and how they’re learning. You need to know a few programming languages, and be flexible enough to support students working in languages or approach you’re not familiar with (though you don’t need to provide direct instruction).
For science: imagine you’ve got a group of kids you’re meeting online, and each has their own upper level science course they’re working on for credit. As they work away, they get stuck, and need to be pointed towards a sample problem, youtube lecture, or given a quick tip. As you get to know the students you start to bring in little interesting tidbits and videos and activities to connect with their interests. As you work, you find ways that each student can access their material more effectively, and you share those ideas, helping students as they apply them. Throughout you bring your passion for science and get kids excited to explore STEM careers, or just feel confident in class.
In addition to colearning, we’re hoping the teacher can work with 3-5 students in private or semi-private lessons.
Industry: Education and Schools
Expected start date: 2020-05-25
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $35.00 to $70.00 /hour
- teaching : 1 year (Preferred)