Software Engineer (C++)
PulseMedica is looking for a Software Engineer to join our team at our Edmonton location. This person is responsible for integrating with our software team and will be focused on leading the image processing efforts. We are looking for a candidate who will be able to drive the programming of well-constructed, testable and scalable code.
The ideal candidate will have a broad technical background, with a solid understanding of C++/Java/C# programming. Desired: knowledge of image processing technologies, such as VTK, OpenCV, ITK, ParaView, VolView or similar. This person has a natural curiosity for building effective solutions, is a team player, patient and has effective communication skills.
About the Company
PulseMedica is an Edmonton-based company with a very bright future. We are developing a medical device to treat eye conditions with the goal to cure eye disease. Our vision is to revolutionize retinal treatments to provide patients with exceptional outcomes and, ultimately, change the world by preventing blindness related to eye disease.
In 2020, PulseMedica graduated from one of the most successful technology and business accelerator programs in North America called Creative Destruction Labs (CDL). This experience has solidified PulseMedica’s determination to become a billion-dollar firm.
Our focus is now on developing a state-of-the-art 3-dimensional eye imaging and high precision laser surgery medical robot, and we’re looking for exceptional engineers to join us and be part of making our vision a reality.
The Software Engineer role provides a unique opportunity to work with a group of talented and energetic people and to contribute towards setting the direction for the company’s future technology. The successful candidate will actively work within our team of scientists and engineers for projects involving development of new technologies, concept engineering and new product development in the ophthalmic medical device industry.
The person will be responsible for:
- Developing and/or modifying image/data acquisition
- Image processing for UI display in C++
- Analyzing software for developing optical and/or ophthalmic imaging test-beds and prototypes.
- Providing technical leadership in the software and interface with embedded data acquisition aspects related to the prototypes and new products.
- Development of data acquisition, preview and analysis of software for prototypes used for clinical studies.
- Performing trade-off analysis and proposing software architecture for new products and platforms.
- Ownership of software design related aspects for development of new prototypes and pilot products.
- Provides high level troubleshooting support to product development teams.
- Developing software to assist the team for evaluation of newer sub-systems and components.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer / Software Engineering or equivalent.
- Strong programming skills and experience in one of C++, Java, C#, or C.
- Strong grasp of structured and clean programming with a focus on high efficiency and performance.
- A self-motivated team player who is comfortable and adaptable with working in a dynamic and high-paced environment.
Highly Desired Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working with image processing tools such as VTK, OpenCV or similar as well as visualization software such as ParaView, VolView and ITK or similar.
- Strong programming skills in C++ highly desired
- Familiarity with early stage product development in the medical device industry and good documentation practices.
Preferred Skills and Experience with:
- OCT, SLO or similar imaging devices
- Algorithms, application development and optical imaging systems
- Experience in high speed data handling and management, GUI design, project planning and defect management
Duration: Full time Permanent (5 days a week at 7.75 hours per day or 38.75 hours per week)
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
Please note that the successful candidate will be expected to work on site at the University of Alberta, however, this is subject to change to include a work site within Edmonton and surrounding areas.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $64,000.00-$80,000.00 per year
- Casual Dress
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Stock Options
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- Computer Programming: 1 year (Required)
- C++: 2 years (Preferred)
- Image Processing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)