Research Associate (Limited Term) – Power Electronics for Small Satellites
Faculty / Division: Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
Department: Institute for Aerospace Studies (Space Flight Laboratory)
Campus: Downsview (North York)
Description: The Space Flight Laboratory (SFL) at the Institute for Aerospace Studies invites applications for a Research Associate (Limited Term) for a 1 year appointment with possibility of renewal.
The incumbent’s responsibilities may include:
- Researching the latest and novel approaches for electronics design.
- Researching novel approaches to design and qualification of electronics for satellites.
- Developing embedded electronics for small satellites, including microprocessor based digital electronics, mass memory storage units, high-speed electronics, power distribution and control electronics, and/or radio frequency/microwave electronics.
- Assembling, integrating and testing electronics (digital, analog, radio, or microwave)
- Developing software for custom electronics.
- Supporting the integration and test at the system (satellite) level.
- Mentoring and working with graduate and students
- Working with domestic and international collaborators in satellite projects.
- Supporting dissemination of achievements at conferences and exhibits.
- Supporting facility related activities, including procurement and maintenance of equipment.
Ph.D. in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent combination of university engineering degree and industrial experience.
Minimum 2 years of postgraduate and/or industrial experience in developing complex and/or high speed digital and/or analog circuits such as microprocessor based computer boards, mass memory units, power distribution and control electronics, and/or radio hardware. The candidate must also possess experience in low level software design and programming. The candidate must have direct experience in developing custom power electronics for nanosatellites and microsatellites, have familiarity with screening and testing power electronics for space using the microspace philosophy, and have worked on microsatellites for at least 2 different commercial customers that have launched in the last 2 years or are expected to launch within the next 1-2 years. Multidisciplinary skills are an asset.
Independent and collaborative research and development, mentoring/training graduate students, electronics (digital, analog, radio, or all of these) research, design, build, integration and test. Use electronics design software tools such as Altium Designer, EESof ADS, and HFSS.
Notes: Applicants MUST apply online at https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=1902968&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname= and include a covering letter, curriculum vitae and three reference names with their contact addresses and phone numbers. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR APPLICATION. Any questions regarding this position should be directed to Ms. Joan DaCosta at dacostaatutias.utoronto.ca.
All qualified incumbents are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority for equivalent skills and experience.
Employee Group: Research Associate, Limited Term
Appointment Type: Grant - Term
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: R01 -- Research Associates (Limited Term): $45,491 – 85,295
Job Field: Research Associate (Limited Term)
Job Posting: July 17, 2019
Job Closing: September 17, 2019
Job Type: Full-time
- postgraduate or industrial: 2 years (Required)
- Doctoral Degree (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)