SRCE-21-603, BEC, Library Technician
The Strait Regional Centre for Education is entrusted, under The Education Act of Nova Scotia, to deliver the public school program to approximately 5,950 students in 20 schools throughout the counties of Antigonish, Guysborough, Inverness and Richmond. The Strait Regional Centre for Education, with the support of approximately 1,000 staff members, works diligently to influence its vision of excellence in lifelong learning. Located in the northeastern part of Nova Scotia, the Centre's jurisdiction encompasses an area of approximately 11,000 square kilometers with a population of 54,972.
The Strait Regional Centre for Education invites applications from qualified candidates for the posted vacancy. In accordance with the CUPE Collective Agreement, senior qualified candidates will be given preference. Candidates who apply for more than one position may rank their applications in order of preference. Please also indicate if you wish to be considered for subsequent arising vacancies.
9:30AM - 1:30PM Monday to Friday
Deadline for applications:
12/02/2021 at 11:59 p.m.
- Maintain circulation system, including borrowing records, re-shelving, overdue notices, etc.;
- Maintain inventory of library materials (shelf list and catalogue, or computerized database where applicable);
- Maintain and post schedule for library use;
- Classify new library materials, and maintain existing collection;
- Catalogue new library materials, and maintain existing library catalogue;
- Organize and maintain vertical files as needed;
- Organize and maintain periodical collection;
- Maintain and circulate audiovisual hardware and software;
- Order, with permission of the principal, the necessary print and non-print materials for the library collection and library supplies required to maintain library operations;
- Perform regular annual inventory of library resources;
- Weed, as required, materials and equipment from the library collection;
- Keep financial records and account for any library funds;
- Promotion of library materials to school staff;
- Provide reference services to staff and students;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Completion of a library technician information technology diploma program, or a minimum of two years of recent training and experience as a Library Technician in a full-time position in a school setting;
- Knowledge of ordering and cataloguing written materials;
- Training and/or experience in recordkeeping and filing (an asset);
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work efficiently with minimum supervision;
- Excellent computer skills related to word processing, recordkeeping and in the use of the internet;
- Proficiency in the knowledge of library software and all relevant systems (e.g. ResourceMate);
- Experience working in an educational setting.
Your application must include at least three (3) work-related references; one must be your most recent supervisor. The Strait Regional Centre for Education appreciates your expression of interest for employment. As a condition of employment with the Strait Regional Center for Education, successful candidates must provide current (within the past 3 months) and clear Criminal Record Check-Vulnerable Sector and Child Abuse Registry prior to employment start date.
Candidates can check on the status of their applications in Successfactor under My Applications.