The Controller is responsible for providing leadership and day to day supervision of accounting and finance functions for a small accounting staff, including but not limited to the following:
- Prepare monthly financial statements.
- Monthly reporting for management.
- Prepare regular cash flow and operating forecasts throughout the year.
- Perform variance analysis of results compared to budget, prior year, and regular forecasts – on a summary and detailed level.
- Perform margin analysis as required and make suggestions for improvement in all areas.
- Ensure compliance with applicable sales and use taxes as well as assist in preparation of annual income tax packages.
- Prepare annual operating and capital budget with management input.
- Works closely with team members and external auditors.
- Acts as an effective performance coach and supervisor to accounting staff.
Job Type / Category
This is a permanent full time position in the music retail/wholesale business. St. John's Music provides musical instrument sales and service to end consumers and institutions across Canada. We are based in Winnipeg, with retail outlets in 4 provinces.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
The ideal Controller will possess a Canadian recognized accounting designation, CPA (CA, CGA CMA) with past controllership experience leading multiple accounting professionals. You are a talented accountant and have a strong ability to improve processes and develop a robust framework to enable fast growth. The Controller will possess effective communications & advanced MS Excel skills to work with operations & finance to enhance the business. You are accurate and can understand how to lead and assist with expansion and growth plans. You have an entrepreneurial spirit that is appropriately balanced with sound risk management skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 10 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Winnipeg, MB (Required)