WHO WE ARE
Modo’s Purpose is to transform communities by connecting people with places in a way that’s affordable, convenient, inclusive and sustainable. Driven by people, not profit, we are a pioneer in the carshare sector — in fact, we were the first to open shop in Vancouver and Victoria back in 1997 — and Modo has remained the region’s only member-owned carshare co-operative. Modo is a thriving business in the fast-paced and competitive shared mobility sector and our employees tell us they are 100% connected to our Purpose. Read more about Modo at www.modo.coop.
WHAT OUR ACCOUNTANT WILL DO
You will become intimately involved in the full cycle of activities that go into producing Modo’s financial statements and meeting its reporting requirements each month. With broad responsibilities covering full income statement and balance sheet, receivables/payables, payroll and more, our Accountant will work collaboratively with the Finance team to ensure Modo’s books are in order. Reporting to Modo’s Director of Finance, there is also the opportunity within this role to educate and elevate all other Modo functional areas in terms of financial literacy and process improvements. Responsibilities of this role include:
1. Gather and monitor financial data – daily
- Review all customer transactions by gathering data from Modo’s database and external sources
- Review and reconcile employee transactions on Modo credit cards
- Liaise with financial service providers to reconcile issues
- Report and escalate and discrepancies and issues as required
2. Prepare monthly and annual statements – monthly
- Prepare Modo’s income statement and balance sheet, and detailed reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Assist in determining trends or outliers in financial statements and reviewing sources of such events
- Perform month-end and year-end close processes
3. Manage and prepare taxes
- Prepare regular tax summaries and reconciliations and resolve any discrepancies in the underlying data
- Prepare and file various returns including but not limited to GST, PST, and EHT.
4. Administer payroll – bi-weekly
- Prepare payroll reconciliations for bi-weekly payroll and liaise with third party payroll provider to ensure staff are correctly paid
- Review and enter employee expense reports as received
- Prepare remittances for WorkSafeBC
5. Assist with external audits – annual
- Ensure financial data are accurate and available for audit purposes
- Prepare year end reconciliations, trial balance and working papers for audit
- Assist auditors and internal stakeholders when information is required
6. Assist with other finance duties as required, including:
- Processing and handling member payment transactions
- Processing transactions for vendors and third-parties
- Accounts receivable and collections
The qualifications, skills, and experiences that would make you an ideal candidate:
- BSc in Accounting or Finance;
- Full or part-qualified CPA or equivalent;
- In-depth understanding of business bookkeeping procedures and Canadian accounting regulations;
- 1 year of work experience as a full cycle accountant;
- 1 year of experience with Canadian tax regulations considered an asset;
- 1 year of experience in Canadian payroll and using online pay administration systems;
- Intermediate-to-advanced-level user of Microsoft Excel;
- Advanced knowledge of accounting software such as Sage.
THE ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Our business is built on exceptional member service. We set the bar high and strive to exceed member expectations. To excel in this position, you need to be prepared to deliver outstanding service by having:
- Utmost professionalism and attention to confidentiality;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- The ability to multi-task and use sound judgement to prioritize activities;
- Strong organizational and time management abilities;
- Demonstrated strong personal initiative and the ability to work independently;
- A service-oriented attitude and willingness to pitch in and collaborate.
WHAT WE OFFER OUR EMPLOYEES
Modo attracts and retains the best. This is an exciting time for Modo and this position provides an opportunity to make your mark in an evolving industry. We are a fun and friendly company with a personable and professional member service offering. If you like working with a successful team and representing a longstanding, recognized and well-respected brand, this job would be perfect for you. We have plans for growth and maximizing member service and want the right people to grow with us.
Modo encourages and welcomes all qualified candidates. We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity organization and encourage applications from all individuals, including those identifying with traditionally underrepresented groups. We are dedicated to maintaining a healthy, productive, and respectful work environment, free from bullying, harassment and discrimination, and in which all are treated with dignity.
You’ll be trained and have continued support from a close-knit team who are committed to your success. We offer a competitive wage based on experience, benefits, and vacation pay.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application package should include your resume and cover letter describing why you’re our ideal candidate.
Only applicants providing a strong application package will be considered; those that do not include a cover letter will not be considered. Due to the anticipated volume of applications, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We thank you for your application and appreciate your interest in Modo.
Job Type: Full-time
- Full Cycle Accounting: 1 year (Required)
- Sage 50: 1 year (Required)
- Canadian tax and payroll: 1 year (Required)
- Microsoft Excel: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)