The position involves the operation, repair and maintenance of all water and wastewater related facilities such as Water Treatment Plant, water reservoirs, supply line, water distribution system, water meters and meter reading, water turn on/off account, water valves, minor maintenance of hydrants, wastewater collection system, Wastewater Treatment facility, and wastewater lift stations. The incumbent shall perform sampling and testing of water and wastewater samples as required by Alberta Environment and maintenance of records as required for all facilities. The incumbent should be able to perform his duties with very little supervision and shall work closely with and under the direction of the Utility Operator I, II and III. It shall be the responsibility of the incumbent to familiarize and abide by the Town’s Safety Policies and specific job procedure requirements in the performance of his/her duties. Adherence to policies and direction as outlined and as applicable with-in the Town of Drayton Valley Health and Safety Manual and with-in the Town of Drayton Valley Health and Safety Policy.
Equipment or Machines Operated
- Operate motor vehicles
- All equipment and machinery in the Water Treatment Plant, Water Reservoir, Sewer Treatment Plant, Sewage Lift Stations, Sewer Flush Truck assistance and other minor equipment and tools for repair and maintenance of water and wastewater facilities – under supervision of Operator I, II or III
- Hand tools
- Lab equipment
Water and Sewer Facilities
- Operation, repair and maintenance of Water Treatment and Sewer Treatment Plants and Pump Stations.
- Operation, repair and maintenance of water reservoir, supply lines and pump stations.
- Perform daily chemical tests to provide and adjust chemical feed rates for the provision of clean potable water supply.
- Operation, repair and maintenance of Wastewater Treatment Plant and upkeep of all required records.
- Perform testing and sampling of treated water and wastewater as required by Alberta Environment.
- Provide data for monthly and yearly reports for water and wastewater plants as required by Alberta Environment.
- Other duties as assigned relating to Water and Wastewater Treatment facilities.
- Install, repair and test water meters, as well as upkeep of inventory records for water meters and parts.
- Carry out water meter readings as required for billing purposes.
- Attend to service calls for water connections and disconnection’s.
- Other duties as assigned relating to meters. Repairs / Preventative Maintenance – Water and Sewer
- Locate and perform minor repairs on water service valves, main valves and hydrants.
- Practice preventative maintenance in water valves and hydrants, i.e. operating, checking and thawing of main valves, flushing, drainage and thawing of hydrants.
- Attend to sewer back-up calls and rodding, unplugging or flushing of sewer services or mains in emergency.
- Perform manual labour duties related to the repair of water main breaks, sewer blockages, hydrants and valves.
- Other duties as assigned relating to water and wastewater systems General Duties
- Operate ¾ ton trucks and in emergency, assist the sewer flush truck operator
- Attend to complaints and inquiries with regard to water and wastewater services from general public in person when requested by Supervisor
- Perform other Municipal operation related duties as assigned
- Other duties as required
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Water Treatment: 1 year (Preferred)