Hours of Work:
Rotating Shifts & Extended Hours
Time of Day:
Shift Length:Open Date::
As a Night Shift pharmacist working at St Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton (Charlton Campus), you will be responsible for the nightly execution of inpatient medication management activities at the Charlton and West 5th campuses, including:
Review medication orders for safety and appropriateness, and verify orders in a fully electronic computerized prescriber order entry health information system
Provide drug information and clinical overnight pharmacist support (e.g. BPMH, pharmacokinetic monitoring, pharmaceutical care to patients in the Emergency Department)
Responsible for drug distribution services in collaboration with Pharmacy Technicians
Communicate with nursing, medical staff, pharmacy team members and management
Other assignments or duties as required
Pharmacists are responsible for the provision of pharmaceutical care. This entails the responsible provision of drug therapy for the purpose of achieving definite outcomes that improve a patient’s quality of life. Pharmacists also supervise a drug delivery system that integrates the application of the pharmacist’s specialized knowledge with the distribution of the medication to assure optimal medication therapy for the patient.
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy from accredited university required
- Registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists, Part A
- Hospital pharmacy residency is preferred
- Experience in hospital pharmacy preferred
- Maintains current knowledge and skills necessary to perform competently
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates independent decision-making skills and a willingness to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills
- Ability to organize workload
HOURS OF WORK:
- Comply with all policies and procedures of SJHH, laws and regulations and standards of accreditation
- Accurately interpret, assess and where necessary, clarify the prescriber’s medication orders
- Effectively problem solve regarding drug distribution issues as needed
- Identify, follow-up and document adverse drug reactions and medication incidents according to departmental procedures
- Participate in departmental initiatives or other shifts as needed
Rotating shifts and extended hours for the night shift pharmacist team. It will be the responsibility of the night shift team to cover each other for days off and absences.
This position will be mainly at Charlton Campus, but may be scheduled to work at other campuses as well.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
St. Joe’s fosters an environment where we celebrate diversity, where teams reflect the diversity of the community in which we serve, enhancing the connection to patients, clients, community, and each other.