VP Manufacturing and Engineering
1090 Morrison Drive, Ottawa, ON
About Lee Valley:
Since 1978, Lee Valley has recognized that woodworking and gardening are not just hobbies, but are for many a lifestyle choice. Lee Valley Tools enjoys a proud 40-year history of providing high-quality woodworking, gardening, hobby, hardware, gift and seasonal merchandise to customers worldwide. Our customer service is renowned. We pride ourselves on providing quality in all products, whether developed and manufactured internally or sourced elsewhere.
A position at Lee Valley is more than just a job – we honor the time and dedication that our people give by providing sustained and meaningful employment and we strive to provide an environment where learning and development are encouraged.
This is a senior procurement role within the company. The person will be responsible for the procurement of all commodities required by the organization, ensuring the effective flow of products within optimal cost and availability parameters. Plans, schedules and monitors the movement of all product portfolios. Expected to provide leadership and best practice knowledge to junior staff. Continuous sourcing for cost reductions. Will also be tasked with the control of inventory and critical supply chain both Domestic and overseas. Works closely with the design team to also source the best cost value for new and developing products. Will also be part of the Capital project team. (New processes and machine replacement/ upgrade team)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Compiles a supply plan to support the demand plan represented in units and Cost of Goods sold
- Analyzes purchase demand and ensures long lead-time, raw materials are maintained
- Coordinates purchasing activity to acquire inventory in a costs effective and timely manner
- Experience with MRP issuing of orders Along with the delivery agreements and schedule monitoring.
- Help develop and lead new procurement processes (SOP’s / best practices)
- Active member of the Supply, Operations and Planning process.
- Processes purchase requisitions, change orders and requests for quotes from suppliers
- Utilize a collaborative approach by working with Demand Planner/ Production Schedulers.
- Expedites vendor shipments
- Ensures on time delivery of product shipments as per vendor commitment
- Works closely with Key Vendors on forecasting.
- Reviews and uses forecast to establish sku (stock keeping unit) buying schedules which optimize inventory performance, considering changes in demand and market trends
- Execute purchase requirements using best practices to planned inventory levels
- Gathers quotes, manages cost and negotiates pricing for desired inventory levels
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external vendors
- Communicate Vendor delivery and product issues to all stakeholders.
- Identify solutions of reducing over-inventoried skus.
- Work cross functionally to achieve shared goals and objectives
- Required to on a regular basis source new items for new product introduction, and also sourcing new vendors for cost reductions.
- Ability to review supply contracts and make recommendations.
- Provide input to the Supply Planning organization in developing inventory strategies on existing items, new products and product phase-outs
- Monitor PPV for full line looking for favorable variances at a rate of 2% per year.
- Conducts Yearly vendor Business reviews.
- Is required to support the warehousing and stores operations and where required step in for the Logistics/ warehouse Management.
1-2 year college diploma and 10 years related experience and a Professional designation in supply chain (APICS, SCMA, PMAC) or equivalent
Minimum of 5 years buying finished products with 200+ vendors, 5000+ skus
Experience in a Logistics, Demand Planning and/or Forecasting environment
Knowledge of lean supply chain or lean management principles
Requires domestic and global experience.
Job specific skills:
- Manufacturing supply chain experience considered a major asset
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to present findings and make recommendations
- Demonstrated financial analysis capabilities related to inventory management
- Advanced computer skills with high proficiency level with Microsoft Excel Access and experience with business applications, CRM/ERP and familiar with MRP driven systems.
- Experience in setting up production systems and setting parameters of control.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to actively participate in vendor negotiations with Ability for consumable and major equipment Acquisition contract review.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong business acumen
- Ability to effectively negotiate service, price and delivery for specified product portfolios on behalf of the company
- Ability to work independently and make sound business decisions.