Hours of Work:
Rotating Shifts & Extended Hours
Time of Day:
Days, Weekends, Holidays
This position supports the Clinical/Nurse Manager with the daily work of the unit related to patient care. This position provides administrative support services within the unit and interacts directly with patients and families as the unit receptionist. The incumbent communicates within the unit and to other hospital departments. All related duties and responsibilities adhere to the policies and procedures of the hospital and the program/department/unit.
- 2 year post-secondary diploma in medical office administration.
- Medical terminology certificate.
- Minimum one year, up to 2 years' experience providing administrative support and interacting with patients, families and staff in a busy healthcare setting.
- Intermediate skill level in MS Word, intermediate skill in MS Excel, e-mail and internet searches, and excellence in medical spelling and medical terminology.
- Demonstrated proficiency in data entry and the use of patient registration and scheduling systems.
- Accurate keyboarding skills with a minimum typing speed of 35 wpm.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills by acting in a respectful, compassionate manner.
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive and non-judgemental manner, effectively and tactfully, both in person and by telephone. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain composure while handling multiple tasks, frequent interruptions and stressful situations.
- Professional, with good organization skills and problem solving, with ability to set own priorities, use critical thinking, and work with minimal supervision.
- Effective conflict resolution skills, including the ability to diplomatically respond to all inquiries.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
HOURS OF WORK:
- Provides reception duties to the unit by handling all incoming phone calls and enquiries to the unit desk in an efficient and courteous manner. Referrals are made and individuals are directed accordingly.
- Enters all pertinent patient information into the Electronic Health Record and/or information system. Retrieves and updates patient information and communicates with housekeeping, porters and other services within the system. Prints labels, forms and census information as required. Maintains unit statistics and produces various reports related to unit activity.
- Handles the documentation and flow of patient admissions, transfers and discharges. This includes accurately filing or forwarding related items to other hospital departments as required.
- Assists in arranging for patient appointments, tests, procedures, and transportation as required. Completes post-discharge follow-up phone calls to families/patients as directed.
- Maintains Bed Manager Board for the unit. Maintains downtime procedures and reports as appropriate.
- Participates in unit audits and inspections as required.
- Orders specialty beds/equipment (including rentals, returns/tracking and booking) as required.
- Assists with program specific duties – i.e., Supports Patient Activity Fund for unit and distributes PIN cheques for patients as required.
- Assists the Clinical/Nurse Manager with updates to the master schedule as needed. Prepares and posts the schedule according to collective agreements as directed. Arranges for replacements and records staff absences as per established guidelines (e.g., collective agreements and unit protocol). Maintains call-in sheets. Assists the Charge Nurse in contacting staff when needed.
- Records staff attendance; completes staff payroll sheets, payroll corrections and overtime submission for the Clinical/Nurse Manager’s approval and submits to Payroll.
- Schedules orientation, education and training sessions for departmental staff as directed. Assists with orienting new staff to the unit.
- Provides administrative support in typing routine correspondence, filing, sorts/distribute mail, faxes and e-mails, and books conference room/coordinates meetings.
- Ensures all supplies required by the unit are adequately stocked and re-ordered in a timely manner and maintenance work orders are monitored and handled in a timely manner. Enters into HEMM as designated.
- Remains alert regarding unit activity and ensures nursing station and work area is maintained in a safe, organized and presentable way.
- Provides coverage for other Patient Care Unit Clerks within the program/service.
- Assists with other activities as delegated by the Clinical/Nurse Manager.
Rotating shifts and extended hours; days, weekends and holidays.
$25.08 ... $26.19... $27.26 (Plus 14% in lieu)
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
St. Joe’s fosters an environment where we celebrate diversity, where teams reflect the diversity of the community in which we serve, enhancing the connection to patients, clients, community, and each other.