The purpose of the Waste Characterization Specialist position is to determine the characterization needs of a facility to undergo decommissioning. Characterization of a facility identifies the radiological and industrial hazard associated with a facility to be decommissioned in order prepare detailed work plans and identify the required waste paths.
The general accountabilities associated with this position are as follows:
- Perform historical reviews and gap analyses to determine characterization needs of a facility
- Perform field walk downs to define scopes of work
- Prepare characterization documents; scoping survey plans, characterization plans and sampling work plans using the Integrated Work Control Process
- Provide input for the development of schedules of characterization activities to align with project milestones set out in the APWB
- Coordinate and monitor field activities with various service groups: IH, RP, Trades, WMO, etc.
- Arrange for sample shipment and analysis with internal and external analytical chemistry laboratories
- Review survey results and sample analysis results
- Prepare characterization reports
- Train and mentor facility staff in all areas of characterization;
- Liaise with CNL support group personnel and external contractors providing characterization services;
Knowledge and Skills:
- Honours Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Science from a university of recognized standing or, membership in an Engineering or scientific professional organization authorized by statute to establish qualification for membership in that organization.
- 8-10 years of experience in a nuclear operational or decommissioning environment.
- Knowledge of physical radiological, chemical and biological properties of waste.
- Knowledge of industry standards for Waste Management principles and practices.
- Must have experience in 2 of the following areas:
o Experience with reactor characterization and decommissioning
o Experience with tank and stored liquid waste characterization
o Experience with fuel rod bay characterization and decommissioning.
o Experience with characterizing class 1 nuclear labs containing fume hoods and glove boxes.
o Experience with remote sampling tool development for complex characterization work.
- Effective at leading, team building and communicating to organize and direct a working group.
- Possesses strong verbal & written communication skills and good questioning attitude.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledgeable of CNL’s compliance program requirements and experienced in preparing/providing supporting documentation to demonstrate compliance.
- Interpret complex drawings and specifications in either paper of electronic format
- Work under pressure, conflicting priorities and regulatory requirements
- Ability to work effectively independently or in a team to meet schedule deadlines.
- Be available to take assignments outside of the CRL site.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $99,700.00-$160,300.00 per year
- tank and stored liquid waste characterization: 8 years (Required)
- nuclear operational or decommissioning environment: 8 years (Required)
- reactor characterization and decommissioning: 8 years (Required)
- characterizing class 1 nuclear labs, containing fume hoods: 8 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19