D'arcy's Animal Rescue Center is looking to hire a part time Animal Adoptions Counsellor to work at our location on Century Street in Winnipeg, MB.
We are looking for a compassionate and resourceful team member who is comfortable working with a range of people and animals, primarily on evenings and weekends for 16-24 hours per week.
The role includes animal care, customer care responsibilities along with other general shelter as assigned.
Animal Care duties include:
- Cleaning cat and dog kennels
- Monitoring and supervision of animals
- Administration of medications to cats and dogs
Customer care duties include:
- Adopting shelter animals to appropriate clients
- Opening and/or closing the shelter
- Responding to customer enquiries either in person, via telephone or via the internet
- Completing sales transactions
Shelter operation duties include:
- Maintaining the overall cleanliness of the shelter
- Performing inventory duties - such as restocking, organizing, etc.
- Training new employees and volunteers
- Assisting with fundraising/marketing activities for shelter - including promoting fundraising events to clients, social media initiatives and taking pictures of animals.
Due to the range of activities carried out during a shift at the shelter, this is often a fast paced and sometimes stressful work environment. As such we are looking for individuals with:
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment;
- Great communication skills, with an understanding of social media platforms;
- The ability to remain calm in stressful conditions and able to apply critical thinking skills;
- A developed knowledge of animal care, animal bylaws and regulations as well as knowledge of other local animal-related organizations;
- The ability to multi-task and effectively respond to feedback.
Physical demands include:
- Cleaning kennels
- Heavy lifting of supplies and/or animals
- Repetitive movements
Psychological demands include:
- Responding calmly to difficult clients
- Making difficult decisions related to the well-being of shelter animals
- Dealing with issues related to animal abuse or distraught animals
- The ability to cope with animal loss or illness
- Being prepared for potential emergent situations
- Knowledge of animal care an asset
- Some retail experience
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $12.00 /hour
- Retail: 1 year (Preferred)
- Animal Care: 1 year (Preferred)